Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 10: Brown Porter

Yesterday the air conditioning in the store stopped working for no apparent reason. This sent the half dozen or so ales in to 80 degree range. The pale ale from day 2 kicked off again, after showing signs of being done in the primary. The Belgian Pale from the first day seems to be ready. Checked the flavor last night and it seems quite nice.

Today, I also looked in to ways to start serving this without bottling everything. I may end up experimenting some with the Party Pig, Tap-A-Draft and Party Keg systems a bit. It'd be good for me as a shop owner to know all the advantages and disadvantages of these systems. Of the three, I've only used the party kegs before. Interested in the Party Pigs, as they've become popular with a lot of microbreweries and brewpubs. I've heard a lot about the Tap-A-Draft system being a great way to go for homebrew. I'll keep you posted.

On to the beer...

Beer #10 - Sweet Baber Brown Porter


Style: Brown Porter (12A)

Recipe: For 2 Gallon (Extract)

1 lb Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Briess Amber Dry Malt Extract
3 oz Brown Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
3 oz Chocolate Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
2 oz Special B Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
2 oz Muntons Dark Crystal (135L) Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
.5 oz Northern Brewer Hops (4.5%) (30 minutes, full boil)
Danstar Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast

Beer notes: I've been brewing quicker and quicker each day. I know what to do, and what to expect, and am intentionally trying to keep the process fast. Maybe not the best way to brew, but we'll see. The only thing out of the ordinary in this recipe may be the Special B. I wanted a bit extra sweet caramel flavor, and think it will accomplish this nicely. OG was 1.048.

Cheers!
Aaron

3 comments:

  1. As you know. I know nothing about brewing... What does "kicked off" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kicked Off: Restarted. The yeast multiplied and started eat sugar again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh. I was picturing you kicking the beer jug with your shoe.. *sigh* good thing I have a day job..

    ReplyDelete