Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 11: Vienna Lager

The Brown Porter kicked off quick last night. I pitched the dry yeast right on top, and it was going an hour later. I need to get a few beers in to secondary fermenters tomorrow, and take some good gravity readings. I think the first beer is ready to go earlier than expected. Anyway, it's been a busy day, and I need to get brewing!

On to the beer...

Beer #11 - Madtown Maroon Lager


Style: Vienna Lager (3A)

Recipe: For 2 Gallon (Extract)

2 lbs Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract
4 oz Melanoidin Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
2 oz Vienna Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
2 oz Carared Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
2 oz Caramunich II Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
1 oz Chocolate Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
.8 oz Mt. Hood Hops (5%) (30 minutes, full boil)
Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast

Beer notes: I was shooting for something similar to the Capital Amber beer put out by Capital Brewing in Madison, WI. I threw in a touch of chocolate, may give it a bit of a darker Negra Modelo color. The 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast strain is supposedly one of the most widely used Lager strains. I think it's also known as the Carlsberg strain. I need to keep a 14" test cylinder jar around or I won't take my original gravity. It's something I've gotten lazy on. My fermenters just don't have the space for me to drop my hydrometer in, and my kettle isn't full enough to take a reading out of. I'm guessing my OG is a bit low, maybe in the 1.042 range.

Cheers!
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment