Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 17: Chocolate Cherry Porter

It looks like the hardest days for me to brew are Mondays and Tuesdays. These are my days off, and the farthest thing from my mind was brewing today. So started brewing today around 10pm. Did some exploring today, and grabbed a couple six-packs mix-packs of 12 different great beers. After some nice Belgian beer today, I'm definitely looking forward to brewing a tasty Tripel up soon.

On to the beer...

Beer #17 - Chocolate Cherry Porter

Style: Fruit Beer (20A)

Recipe: For 1 Gallon (Extract)

1 lb Dark Dry Malt Extract
3 lbs Cherries (Secondary Fermenter)
4 oz Chocolate Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
.5 oz Sterling Hops (5%) (Full boil, 30 minutes)
Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast

Beer notes: I had some fresh cherries I wasn't eating fast enough and froze recently. I'm planning on sanitizing them and throwing them directly in to the secondary for about 2 weeks. I'll make notes if this recipe changes some. Had first thought about making a cherry hefeweizen, but settled on a cherry porter. I think it should balance the cherry flavor nicely. Didn't make this beer too alcoholic, but feel it's probably more of a winter beer. Adjusted my hops Alpha Acids down some. They were marked at 7.2%, but they were a bit old, so gave'em a 5%. OG sat right at 1.050.

Cheers!
Aaron

Cheers!
Aaron

2 comments:

  1. how are you going to treat the cherries before they go into the fermenter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi June- Probably with Potassium Metabisulfite, I've used it to lightly sanitize fruit before..you just use it in a higher concentration than you would in a fruit wine- 2 TBSP per gallon of water, rinsing well afterward.

    ReplyDelete