Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 12: Weizenbock

Was all psyched up to get brewing right away this morning, and walked out in to wet cement...which can slow ya down. Had to close the shop down today while they poured a new sidewalk. Although I live behind the store, I need to walk up front to get in the store- there's no door between the apartment in back and the store. This made it tough to go get brewing supplies, as I would have had to figure out a way to get over the sidewalk, so this batch is coming a bit later than I had hoped today.

Anyhow, I'm kinda hoping to get a good Weizenbock. it's one of those underrated styles in my book. Rarely discussed or brewed, except for maybe Aventinus. Though there are some great commerical examples..I've had the Flying Dog, Victory and Capital, but from what I read, I need to try an AleSmith Weizenbock.

On to the beer...

Beer #12 - Wise Old Bock

Style: Weizenbock (15C)

Recipe: For 2 Gallon (Extract)

3.5 lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract
2 oz Dark Munich Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
2 oz Melanoidin Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
1 oz Chocolate Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
.75 oz Saaz Hops (3.2%) (30 minutes, full boil)
.3 oz Hallertau Hops (4.5%) (Last 5 minutes)
Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat Yeast

Beer notes: Super frothy boil. It had a fine foam that shrank and grew with the boiling temperature. The 1 gallon boil was pretty thick. OG was measured at 1.072.

Cheers!
Aaron

1 comment:

  1. Put JellyRoll & Lucy's initials in the sidewalk as soon as they turn their backs... What does the changing levels of frothiness and foam indicate? Is that good or bad?

    ReplyDelete