Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 5: Witbier



Here we are at day 5. The lagers from the last two previous days have yet to take off. A good reason why you should always make a starter. Lagers can lag. Dude, it's a drag. Make it in a flask..not in a bag. Nice?



On to the beer...

Beer #5 - Not Quite Clear Witbier

Style: Witbier (16A)

Recipe: For 2 Gallon (Partial-Mash)

1.75 lb Briess Bavarian Wheat Liquid Malt
8 oz Vienna Malt
8 oz Flaked Wheat
6 oz Torrified Wheat
.25 oz Saaz Hops (3.2% AAU) (30 minutes, full boil)
.25 oz Cascade Hops (5% AAU) (last 20 minutes)
.15 oz Coriander (last 15 minutes)
.15 oz Orange Peel (last 15 minutes)
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit Yeast

Brewing Notes: May have used a bit more coriander and dried orange peel than I wanted to I think. Didn't measure to well and was thinking .25 ounces when I was pouring. So probably poured a bit heavy. The partial mash system works great with small batches. Found it easy to control and hold temp for a full 60 minutes at 150F. I think the beer will benefit from the mini-mash as well, as it's hard to keep color down when using an extract recipe. Looking at the BJCP guidelines, they want something in the 2-4 SRM color range. Light. Really light. I used some extract so that pretty much excluded me from hitting the color mark. I think the mini-mash has flavor benefits as well. O.G. was around 1.050. Slightly higher, thought I'd finish in the 40's...this is becoming a trend. Hmm..maybe I just like a bit more kick?

Cheers!
Aaron

5 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    Maybe your dad has mentioned me. I'm his pastor and a fellow home brewer. I'm overwhelmed by the scope of your project! Where are you storing all those fermenting carboys, and where are you going to store all those beer bottles? What a great experiment! Take good notes along the way. Maybe you can turn it into a book. Here's a knitting quote tweaked to fit your endeavor: Brew on, in confidence and hope, through all crises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron...I think this beer should be #5.
    Dad emailed EVERYBODY about your blog! Happy Brewing!
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary- Only one minor crises so far...my electric heater for my beer kettle I keep in the shop didn't work, so I had to brew late last night to get my batch in. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete