Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 15: American Amber Ale

It's fun brewing with other people. Even if they're just there to watch you brew. Got to brew for a class at the Southern Food Museum here in New Orleans! I had 18 attendees I'm proud to say. They probably found it boring, watching a guy stir a pot, but I had a good time:)

We brewed 5 gallons, much more than my daily routine of small batch brewing. To everyone who attended- remember to come try the beer out in a month, I'm sure it'll be great! Thanks again for coming!

On to the beer...

Beer #15 - A Night At The Museum Amber

Style: American Amber Ale (10B)

Recipe: For 5 Gallon (Extract)

6 lb Liquid Amber Malt
1 lb Light Dry Malt Extract
8 oz Caramel/Crystal 80L Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
8 oz CaraPils Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
1 oz Amarillo Hops (8.5%) (Full boil, 60 minutes)
1 oz Cascade Hops (5%) (Last 5 minutes)
Fermentis US-05 Safale Ale Yeast

Beer notes: I was on a little burner, and was trying to fit a lesson on brewing your first batch in to a 2 hour time frame while making this beer. The grains steeped between 140-156 for around 15 minutes. The boil itself probably went about an hour, with the Cascade in the end of the boil for about 7-10 minutes. Only achieved a nice rolling boil the last 20-30 minutes of the batch. I think it'll be just fine. The hops should come through a bit. I'm a bigger fan of Ambers that have a bit of hop aroma and flavor, but not much, just a hint. I think we'll be pretty close with this batch.

Cheers!
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment