Monday, August 17, 2009

Day 3: Premium American Lager


Well I've made it to day 3! It feels like a bigger accomplishment than it really is. I'm trying to think if there was ever a time when I actually brewed 3 days in a row. I know I've done two in a row...but 3? Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you think about it, it doesn't make much sense to home brew three days in a row. All the cleaning and prepping, and blah blah blah.

The first two batches both took off last night. Note: Using a blow off tube the first couple days is usually a good idea...for now, I'm just wiping down the airlocks now and again...not ideal.



On to the beer-

Beer #3 - Float Your Boat Lager

Style: Premium American Lager (1C)

Recipe: For 2 Gallon (Extract)

2.75 lb Munton's Light Liquid Malt Extract
4 oz Flaked Maize (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
4 oz Bohemian Pilsner Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
.5 oz Cascade Hops (5% AAU) (30 minutes, full boil)
.25 oz Hallertau Hops (4.5% AAU) (last 15 minutes)
Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager Yeast

Brewing notes: I named this one after the Full Sail Session Lager, as I'm hoping for something similar. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the style, but on a hot day, they go down nice and easy. Wasn't a huge fan of the steeping grains...this style tends to be better off as partial-mash or all-grain recipe, lighter color, and pilsner grain, though I could have used Briess' Pilsen Light, which is a great malt. I had some Munton's to use up, which will add a bit more color. Gonna try and Lager around 52F. Original Gravity looks to be at 1.054. I might be a bit high for the style on my final gravity reading.

Cheers!
Aaron

UPDATE 9/11/2009 (24 days) : Bottled directly from the primary. Not recommended unles you're in a hurry, and don't mind a lot of settling on the bottoms of your bottles. The lager tastes great, but definitely, if I was doing a larger batch, I'd probably filter and force carbonate it. FG finished at 1.014.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a new brewer (just bottled my first Pale ale for conditioning). Looking forward to following your brewing adventures and picking up some interesting recipes.

    Thanks for doing this and blogging about it.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug- I'm usually just checking it against other recipes and/or in BeerTools. I'm not a fancy brewer:)

    Zachary- Thanks! Hope your first batch turns out well!

    ReplyDelete