Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 20: Sweet Stout

This will mark the 20th different style of beer I've brewed in 20 days. Captain Obvious here, I know. As I taste some of the first batches, I'm already looking forward to tweaking recipes slightly, and playing around. First I'd like to get through most, if not all, of the BJCP listed beer styles. Also, I'm jonesin' to get a wine going again. You may see one of those pop up soon. Oh, and some sake...I may have to change the name to 'A Year in Brewing.'

On to the beer...

Beer #20 - London Calling Stout

Style: Sweet Stout (13B)

Recipe: For 2 Gallon (Extract)

3 lbs Muntons Dark Liquid Malt Extract
3 oz Malto-Dextrin
2 oz Chocolate Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
2 oz Special B Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
2 oz Cara-Pils Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
2 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
1 oz British Black Patent (steeped at 152F for 20 minutes)
.25 oz Columbus Hops (14.2%) (30 minutes, full boil)
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III Yeast

Beer notes: Was shooting for an old fashioned stout that you'd serve with low carbonation and at cellar temperature. I guess I was shooting for a cask stout recipe. Didn't go with Lactose, which would have made this a 'milk' stout, but decided to go with maltodextrin instead. Both are non-fermentable sugars that will add some sweetness to the beer. I really like the Wyeast London Ale III yeast. I'm not alone- there's been a lot of discussion on the boards at probrewer.com about this yeast as an all-around craft brewery yeast. Seems to be a favorite of some. Used Columbus as my bittering hop again today. I find it's a good bittering hop, especially for beers where you want the malt showcased some.

Cheers!
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment