Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 21: Berliner Weisse

I posted yesterday that I'm looking to get a wine going. Instead, today I'm brewing up the true Champagne of beers: The Berliner Weisse.

On to the beer...

Beer #21 - Berntnylin Weisse

Style: Berliner Weisse (17A)

Recipe: For 3 Gallon (Partial-Mash)

1 lb Briess Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract
1.75 lbs Pale Wheat Malt (steeped at 152F for 60 minutes)
4 oz Bohemian Pisener Malt (steeped at 152F for 60 minutes)
.5 oz Spalt Select Hops (2%) (15 minutes, full boil)
Wyeast 4335 Lactobacillus
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Ale Yeast

Beer notes: Was looking for something interesting to brew today. This one looked fun, but ended up needing a restart. As I was steeping my grains, I got inattentive and left the burner on high for a few minutes...burned/melted a hole in my nylon grain bag....ugh. So, boiled some PBW in the bottom, and started over- new grains, new grain bag, new water. Thus the name of this beer, "Berntnylin Weisse." I think I got a pretty good mash and sparge this time. Going to throw the bacteria and yeast in at the same time. I'd thought about putting the Lacto in for about 2 weeks first, and then the yeast. I hear you can add a nice sourness to the beer. On second thought, I really want to see the results of throwing the lacto and yeast in together at the same time. Probably looking to age this one for a while (2-3 months) in the secondary. May have pitched a bit on the hot side. Hopefully it kicks off!

Cheers!
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment