Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 30: Imperial Pale Ale

The last day of my 30 day brewing run ends in odd fashion. A lot of home brewers out there got started because somebody bought them a 'Mr. Beer' kit, or something similar. These come with a ready made beer, that really just needs water and yeast added to it. These cans of pre hopped malt are also sold in home brew shops. I personally bought a case of 6 cans when I first opened of Ironmaster's Imperial Pale Ale. I really just wanted one no boil kit around for people who maybe wanted more malt for their Mr. Beer, or just brewed in this way. I sold 5 cans over 8 months, leaving me with 1 can. Let's just say I havent ordered more of these ''ready to go' malts, and probably won't. They don't require a boil, as there is nothing to boil together. Just a fermentation. Having never done one of these, I thought I'd give it a try. I do get people asking about them now and again..and never know what to tell them about the quality. I assume it's ok, but guess I should find out for myself!

On to the beer...


Beer #28 - Practical Pale Ale

Style: Imperial IPA (14C)

Recipe: For 2.5 Gallon (Extract)

4lb Ironmaster Imperial Pale Ale Kit
Ale Yeast

Beer notes: A no boil kit that came with a non descript package of yeast. I'm guessing it's Muntons ale yeast. OG was 1.042. Seems a bit low...who knows. This kit is no longer manufactured. It looks like these no-boil kits aren't being made in England by Muntons anymore. Coopers, out of Australia, is still making them. This kit reccomended adding 2.2lb dry malt extract for an amber, or 2.2lbs corn sugar for a lighter beer. I just want to see how the malt in the can turns out, so keeping this as a 2.5 gallon kit. I'll let you know who this turns out!

Cheers!
Aaron

2 comments:

  1. gg

    it was a lot of fun checking this site out everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to post any updates when your batches are done?

    ReplyDelete