Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 18: Roggenbier

I definitely feel like I'm learning a good amount beer styles doing this. Today I'm brewing one I've never brewed before, and looking forward to it. Also had a nice milestone today- bottled the first batch! 6 500ml bottles.

On to the beer...

Beer #18 - Pitcher in the Rye

Style: Roggenbier (German Rye Beer) (15D)

Recipe: For 2 Gallon (All-Grain)

2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lb Munich Type 1 Malt
6 oz German Dark Munich Malt
6 oz German Dark Wheat Malt
2 oz Caramel Wheat Malt
2 oz Chocolate Wheat Mal
.5 oz Tettnanger Hops (4.5%) (Last 30 minutes of 60 minute boil)
Wyeast 3333 German Wheat Yeast

Beer notes: I was pretty excited to brew today. I like rye beers, but don't think I've ever made a roggenbier 'true to style.' I've added rye to a good amount of beers in the past, but don't think I've ever tackled it as the major malt in my grain bill. This beer ended up with exactly 50% rye grist. Was higher, then I realized I had caramel wheat, and not caramel rye. Didn't do the best job weighing the grains, this one might finish a bit dark, as I was high on caramel and chocolate wheat malts. Temperature didn't hold well the second half of the 60 minutes. Not sure my pseudo sparge went well either. Think I left some sugars behind. I am writing this mid boil so we'll see how the gravity looks when it cools down. An hour later- Missed gravity by a lot...which I figured might happen...was at a paltry 1.034. I'll need to fix this.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for putting in the style number (15D here) in your entries. I found the description of this style at www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style15.php This helped me understand what you are trying to achieve.

    ReplyDelete