Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 29: Raspberry Honey Mead

Second to last day of the 30 day ride. I've definitely decided to end this current brewing streak at 30 days. And I knew, I definitely wanted to get a mead in. I haven't brewed a honey wine in a while, and am remembering how nice the last one I did was. I've had a lot of people coming in to the store doing meads. Seem popular with the lady brewers, and have heard of a good amount of people keeping bees in the city, or who have friends keeping bees somewhere. Which is good, cause honey is awesome.

On to the mead...


Mead #1 - Snazzy Razzy Mead

Style: Dry Mead (24A)

Recipe: For 1 Gallon

3 lb Raspberry Honey
2 Tbsp Fermax Yeast Nutrient
2 Tsp Acid Blend
1 Tsp Tannin
1 Campden Tablet
Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

Mead notes: Stirred everything together minus the yeast. This is based on a lot of basic recipes I read, and follows none exactly. I think you could do this mead a variety of ways. I don't think I've ever used tannin in mead before. I found a few recipes that recommended it for dry meads. Meads aren't my forte, most of my meads have been based on basic recipes I've found online. We'll see what happens with this one!

Cheers!
Aaron

4 comments:

  1. It was a good run, it was a lot of fun checking this site every day.
    I hope that you can somehow keep this going. Maybe a brew once every three days?
    In any case, good luck. Keep Brewin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaron it was a good try man your store was filling up fast. there was beer on top of beer. but once there all bottled up ill come by and help dispose of them.
    -drew

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would to brew a mead, but unfortunately insect mites killed all my bees, here on Long Island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so how did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete