Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 28: Specialty Beer

This may end up being a 30 day trial run of this brewing experiment. This battle of will. Man vs Beer.

I'm stumbling a bit to find time and space (which is my biggest concern) for this project. I'm confined to a tiny store for brewing, and I have much more important things needing my attention at this moment in time. A new website for the store... Finding more space for inventory... Bookkeeping...(shudder.)... A vacation coming up next week...

So maybe this is a false start. I'm not happy with the limited amount of space I had for this project. It's hard to stay organized when things have to be in random spots. The store is small enough as it is, and there's no room in my apartment to tackle this project.

Now I know. I'm trying to run a marathon in sandals.

On to the beer...

Beer #27 - Add Junk, Get Junk? Lager

Style: Specialty Beer (23A)

Recipe: For 2 Gallon (Extract)

1 lb Wheat Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Rice Syrup Solids
.5 lbs Corn Sugar
.25 oz Sterling Hops (4.5%) (30 minutes, full boil)
Fermentis Saflager S-23

Beer notes: I've be wondering about the flavor of a beer that uses a large amount of rice syrup solids. Decided since I was using an adjunct, I'd use more, and threw in some corn sugar. Used a dry wheat malt, which is 55% wheat, 45% barley. So, four different sugar sources. Not sure what I'm gonna get. Maybe something light and flavorless...maybe something light and amazing? Probably not, but who knows:) OG was 1.048.

Cheers!
Aaron

2 comments: